Monday, February 28, 2011

Academy Awards - Reactions

My predictions this year were so-so. My big upset pick (Geoffrey Rush) let me down. But I had a great evening watching the ceremony with friends.


WHAT I LIKED


  • Anne Hathaway! So much fun! Breezy, self-assured--a joy to watch.
  • David Seidler's wonderful acceptance speech for Original Screenplay.
  • Halle Berry's tribute to Lena Horne. And Halle's dress. And Halle in general.
  • That King's Speech producer who thanked his husband.
  • Florence whatever, singing in Gaelic or whatever. Whatever. Loved it.


WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

  • James Franco. Wooden, dull, possibly stoned.
  • Hilary Swank's filthy mop dress.
  • Christian Bale's hair and beard. As the favorite to win, he knew that he would probably be giving a speech for a billion television viewers, so why didn't he spend five minutes on basic grooming?
  • Melissa Leo. Although the dress was nice (kind of interesting, actually), she was obnoxious on stage. I hope we never see her again.
  • Sandra Bullock's make-up. She was a pallid, wrinkly mess. But she handled her award-giving duties with panache. How about Sandra for Oscars host next year?

1 comment:

Ana said...

In agreement with all of the above minus the pan on Hillary's dress. I love a little feathery fluff!

SANDY! SANDY!