Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Best Actress Nominations

We are fast approaching the announcement of the Academy Awards nominations for films from 2009. I'd like to give you my predictions as well as the ones I would nominate if I were in charge.


Predicted nominees:
  • Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
  • Helen Mirren, The Last Station
  • Carey Mulligan, An Education
  • Gaboureh Sidibe, Precious
  • Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
I would nominate:
  • Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
  • Abbie Cornish, Bright Star
  • Carey Mulligan, An Education
  • Gaboureh Sidibe, Precious
  • Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
Although I wasn't crazy about The Blind Side generally, Sandra Bullock was fantastic. Of the two British ingenues with breakout performances this year, I had a slight preference for Abbie Cornish as the devastated soulmate of John Keats. Carey Mulligan didn't tug at my heartstrings, but she gave a polished, convincing performance in An Education. Meryl once again proved that she is our greatest living actor with her layered portrait of Julia Child. And Gaboureh Sidibe brought dignity and spirit to Precious Jones, the year's most challenging role.

Honorable mentions: Catalina Saavedra's weird, wonderful performance in The Maid; Penelope Cruz, shown off to beautiful effect again by Pedro Almodovar in Broken Embraces; and Maya Rudolph, who gave the only interesting performance in the otherwise awful Away We Go.

No comments: