Thursday, April 24, 2008

12 Angry Men

Last night I went to see 12 Angry Men at the Castro Theatre with my friend Shawn. I think I saw it on TV as a kid, but this was my first time seeing it on the big screen. Here's the somewhat campy movie poster from the original 1957 release:


This is a magnificent film. The black & white cinematography is very cool and creative, which is all the more impressive because almost the entire movie takes place in a single room. At the beginning of jury deliberations, we see the characters from a distance, as if the camera were mounted where the wall met the ceiling. But as the movie progresses and as we learn more about the backgrounds, thoughts and prejudices of each juror, the camera gradually moves down to the level of the table and shows the individual actors in close-up.


The acting is uniformly strong, with each of the twelve characters being fairly well-developed. While a few of the references in the script are obviously dated, many of the themes are very much applicable today. I appreciated the focus on the mechanics of jury deliberations. This would be a great training film for citizens selected for jury duty!

No comments: